Re: Building on case-insensitive systems

From: Anand Kumria
Date: Sun Oct 17 2004 - 04:01:13 EST

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 11:27:30 +0200, Sam Ravnborg wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 17, 2004 at 01:43:56AM -0400, Albert Cahalan wrote:
>> >
>> > You are betting that you can force developers to switch away
>> > from Windows and MacOSX workstations.
>>
>> Actually, I'm betting that "required to build product"
>> is a magic phrase that overrides corporate IT's desire
>> to brutally enforce a Microsoft-only environment.
>
> Seems you are not part of one of these organisations.
> That argument will not suffice.

While I don't work for one of these organisation, I am involved with one.
I've certainly seem "corporate IT" dictate a specific platform. The
response from the project / device engineers was "Do you want this product
to ship, or do you want us to conform to corporate IT?".

Considering the amount of money involved, it was no surprise that
corporate IT desires were overridden.

> Try to estimate the cost associated with the shift:
[...]
Try estimating the cost of losing market share in a specific customer
segment versus what you listed. All those costs pale into insignificance.

Anand