Re: Building on case-insensitive systems

From: Sam Ravnborg
Date: Sun Oct 17 2004 - 02:29:31 EST

On Sun, Oct 17, 2004 at 01:43:56AM -0400, Albert Cahalan wrote:

> > You are betting that you can force developers to switch away
> > from Windows and MacOSX workstations.
>
> Actually, I'm betting that "required to build product"
> is a magic phrase that overrides corporate IT's desire
> to brutally enforce a Microsoft-only environment.

Seems you are not part of one of these organisations.
That argument will not suffice.

Try to estimate the cost associated with the shift:
- Training
- Less efficiency in a period
- Missing important tools so a terminal service is needed
- etc.

The valid solution here would be to deploy a Linux server.
But then your arguments suffer compared to other OS'es where
everything is running on the users current host - why have
the hassle with a Linux server.

Sam