Re: UDP recvmsg blocks after select(), 2.6 bug?

From: Mark Mielke
Date: Sat Oct 16 2004 - 19:13:25 EST

On Sat, Oct 16, 2004 at 11:44:21PM +0200, Roland Kuhn wrote:
> >You are talking about the make believe case that only exists due to
> >the *current* implementation of Linux UDP packet reading. It doesn't
> >have to exist. It exists only behaviour nobody saw fit to implement it
> >with semantics that were reliable, because the implentors didn't
> >foresee
> >blocking file descriptors being used. It's an implementation oversight.
> Well, I haven't read the source to see what would be necessary to
> create this behaviour, but David was talking about the situation where
> the UDP packet is dropped because of memory pressure. This event cannot
> possibly be foretold by select()...

I don't think he is, but if he is:

I'm not sure that either is reasonable behaviour. The socket buffers
don't increase or decrease at run time, do they? If they do shrink at
run time, this is news to me...

Cheers,
mark

--
mark@xxxxxxxxx/markm@xxxxxx/markm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx __________________________
. . _ ._ . . .__ . . ._. .__ . . . .__ | Neighbourhood Coder

and in the darkness bind them...

http://mark.mielke.cc/