Re: Running user processes in kernel mode; Java and .NET support in kernel

From: Simon Kissane
Date: Sat Oct 16 2004 - 08:01:33 EST

Hi

Having posted the below to this list, Denis Vlasenko pointed out to me
(in an email) that I should have said "user<->kernel" switch, not
context switch. Yep, my mistake. He argues that is not that big. Of
course its no where near as big as a context switch. But its still
something.

Also, I found a website by someone who had this idea before me (and
unlike me, actually implemented it!).
"Kernel Mode Linux" by Toshiyuki Maeda
http://web.yl.is.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp/~tosh/kml/
Main difference is, that rather thinking in terms of Java or Mono
support, he is thinking in terms of another system he calls "Typed
Assembly Language". Same basic idea though...

Cheers
Simon Kissane

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 14:11:32 +1000, Simon Kissane <skissane@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have some ideas, which I think:
> - Wouldn't be too hard to implement,
> - And would give Linux a distinctive advantage over competing
> platforms such as Solaris or Windows, when executing Java or .NET code
[snip]

--
Simon Kissane
http://simonkissane.blogspot.com/