Re: Linux 2.6.9-rc3

From: Gene Heskett
Date: Thu Sep 30 2004 - 15:41:35 EST

On Thursday 30 September 2004 14:58, Bill Davidsen wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>> On Thursday 30 September 2004 00:53, Markus T. wrote:
>>># bzcat patch-2.6.9-rc3.bz2 | patch -p1
>>>patching file fs/nfs/file.c
>>>Hunk #2 FAILED at 74.
>>>Hunk #3 FAILED at 91.
>>>2 out of 11 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file
>>> fs/nfs/file.c.rej ...
>>>
>>>___
>>>Markus
>>
>> And thats one of the reasons I never dl the bz2 version.
>>
>> You should have started with a fresh unpack of 2.6.8, not 2.6.8.1
>> I just checked my scrollback and there is no such error here.
>
>Are you saying that he patched against the wrong kernel source
> because he pulled the bz2 patch? How do you make that leap? The gz
> patch does the same thing against the wrong source.

True, but my recommendation to use the .gz version is based on some
pretty frustrating experiences encountered when using the .bz2
versions that I haven't encountered with the .gz versions. See my
other, now a bit late reply to Clemens. I was trying to hit both
birds with one rock so to speak.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)