RE: nforce2 bugs?

From: Andy Currid
Date: Thu Sep 30 2004 - 10:49:12 EST

I'm taking a look at the patches discussed in other recent emails on the
list, but I'm curious about the timer issue that Maciej notes here. In
systems running in IOAPIC mode where this problem has been observed, is
ACPI enabled?

I strongly suspect that it is. Some BIOSes on nForce systems contain an
incorrect INT override for the timer interrupt in their ACPI tables,
indicating that in IOAPIC mode the timer interrupts on IRQ2 rather than
IRQ0. The kernel honors the override, then notices the timer interrupt
isn't working and subsequently rescues the situation by configuring the
timer in ExtInt mode. That recovers the timer interrupt but I suspect
that configuration may be responsible for the "noisy" behavior (it's a
faulty configuration).

The workaround for the faulty override in IOAPIC/ACPI mode is to specify
acpi_skip_timer_override as a boot parameter.

If anyone has a system that is exhibiting the noisy behavior, I'd be
interested to hear if this workaround addresses the problem. I haven't
seen this specific behavior on my own nForce2 systems.

Regards

Andy
--
Andy Currid, NVIDIA Corporation