Re: nforce2 bugs?

From: Maciej W. Rozycki
Date: Thu Sep 30 2004 - 09:28:02 EST

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004, Prakash K. Cheemplavam wrote:

> The only problem is the apic timer thing. It just gets activated if the
> correct BIOS Version is found (see the dmi scan thingie). So I just pass
> acpi_skip_timer_override to the kernel to be sure.

There appears to be another timer problem, too -- at least for some
boards the system timer (the 8254 PIT) has a noisy output. When routed to
an I/O APIC input it makes the system time go fast enough the NTP daemon
isn't able to compensate (it's a few minutes per day fast). The problem
goes away when routing it to the 8259A PIC, presumably because the 8259A
inputs are not "sticky" in the edge-triggered mode -- at the worst you
only get spurious interrupts reported in /proc/interrupts in the "ERR"
counter.

An nVidia feedback would be appreciated. Allen?

Maciej