Re: sym53c8xx_2 regressions in 2.6.9-rc2

From: René Rebe
Date: Tue Sep 28 2004 - 07:11:16 EST

Hi,

Matthew Wilcox wrote:
On Mon, Sep 27, 2004 at 04:13:26PM -0400, James Bottomley wrote:

Do you have any ideas about this...it doesn't seem to be connected with
domain vaildation. The errors apparently show up during operation.

Thanks for forwarding this, James. Rene, it would be useful for you
to submit bug reports to the maintainer directly, or even contact linux-scsi.
I don't have time to wade through the mountains of crap on linux-kernel.

And I'm not on any linux-* list, sorry. The next time I will write to linux-scsi directly.

On my U30 sparc64 box I get many errors in the system log:

Sep 20 15:28:34 sundown kernel: sym0:0:0:phase change 6-7 11@c7ff7b90 resid=6.
Sep 20 15:28:34 sundown last message repeated 2 times

those did not show up in any other 2.6 kernel up to .8.1 ...

When do these show up? Are they at initialisation time or are they during
normal operation? You report the dmesg from a 2.6.8 kernel, how does the
2.6.9-rc2 one differ? Is the sym2 driver version 2.1.18j in both kernels?

Both, at initialization time _and_ normal operation.

The 2.6.9-rc2 dmesg does list the same devices - but with "sym0:0:0:phase change 6-7 ..." between the devices beeing detected.

I'll rebuild the kernel with the defective scsi driver (I reverted the changes to get a functional system ...) when I'm back in the office in some hours. The 2.6.9-rc2 does contain the domain validation changes, I will take a look if the patch in 2.6.9-rc2 does change the version string if this matters.

Have fun,

--
René Rebe - Rubensstr. 64 - 12157 Berlin (Europe / Germany)
+49 (0)30 255 897 45