Video : Activate X to use rivafb

From: Mukund JB.
Date: Mon Sep 27 2004 - 04:34:07 EST

Hello all,

The question I am asking may the simplest of this field, but I found it no where. Pls help.

How to activate X with rivafb framebuffer not the generic fb driver (fbdev).

I am working with the following configuration:-
* Red Hat Linux 7.3
* Kernel 2.4.18-3
* Nvidia Riva TNT card
* Rivafb driver
* XFree86 4.2.0

My edited the XF86Confoig file as follows( related sections only):-

Section "device"
Identifier "linix fb"
Driver "rivafb" # Is rivafb the right keyword for rivafb.o module?
BoardName "Unknown"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "linux fb"
Monitor "COMPAQ S510"
DefaultDepth 8
Subsection "Display"
Depth 8
EndSubSection
EndSection

Is rivafb the right keyword for rivafb.o module?
Is it the driver name(module name) that we should keep in the Driver part of Device section?

If I startx afterb modprobing the rivafb, it results in errors. # startx

(EE) Fialed to load module "rivafb" ( module does not exist, 0)
(EE) No devices detected.

Please help me in this regard. I have spend good enough time on this and its I high time get it done.

Is it so easy a question? Just becos I didn't find any info about in the internet and no body replies for question.

Aim Behind all this :
To debug the rivafb driver when it being called or used by X server( XF86 ).

Regards,
Mukund jampala