Re: 2.6.9-rc2-mm3 breaks amanda (was: 2.6.9-rc2-mm3)

From: Gene Heskett
Date: Sat Sep 25 2004 - 21:07:24 EST

On Saturday 25 September 2004 17:30, Matthias Andree wrote:
>On Sat, 25 Sep 2004, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> Sounds to me as if amanda isn't setup correctly. its working here
>> just fine with 1 server and 2 clients, one of which is the server
>> itself. Running version 2.4.5b1-20040915 to virtual tapes on a
>> big disk.
>
>Is Amanda set up incorrectly if SuSE's default 2.6.5 kernel and a
>vanilla 2.6.7 work well even with clients, but 2.6.9-rc2-mm1 to -mm3
>versions fail at the same task, with the same Amanda installation
> and software?
>
>I only exchanged the kernel, nothing else. Same hardware, same
>user-space software.
>
>I doubt that it's Amanda's configuration. I'd expect a "stable"
>2.6.9-whatever kernel to be backwards compatible with its 2.6.X
>predecessors.

I build amanda from tarballs for exactly that reason, and I do it
everytime Jean-Louis releases a new tarball on his web page at
umontreal.edu. I have, over the years, come from a 2.2 kernel and
amanda-2.4.1, to 2.6.9-rc2-mm3 and amanda-2.4.5b1-20040915, building
about 1/4th of the test kernels released, half of the amanda
snapshots and have never, ever had a problem I could blame on a
kernel version. Tape changer problems out the wahzoo, finally giving
up and converting to a large disk drive that is except for a gig of
swap, all amanda's to play in as she sees fit.

If you play by amanda's rules, she is a very diligent servant. I'd
bet a bottle of suds that there is something in the docs that tells
you how to make amanda run, and that you have skipped over. Please
re-read them again. Also, there is an amanda support group,
amanda-users@xxxxxxxxxx, where some user like me, or any of the
authors can probably fix you right up.

--
Cheers, Gene