Re: [Fwd: Re: HIGHMEM4G config for 1GB RAM on desktop?]

From: Timothy Miller
Date: Sat Sep 25 2004 - 20:06:42 EST

I tried the suggestions above of setting
/sys/block/sda/queue/nr_requests to twice the number in
/sys/block/sda/device/queue_depth.

It brought up my write performance from 12.5MB/sec to 13.2MB/sec. An
improvement, but not much of one, and definately far less than the
capability of the drive which I have measured to be around 36MB/sec.

(I tested each drive of my RAID1 separately on the built-in IDE
controller. What I found was that the 3ware was slighly faster on
reads, but WAY slower on writes, compared to the drives individually on
the IDE controller.)