Re: [2.6] smbfs & "du" illness

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Sat Sep 25 2004 - 15:23:17 EST

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004, Jeremy Allison wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 25, 2004 at 12:20:20PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> >
> > Because right now the number is meaningless, and the Linux client is
> > apparently better off ignoring it totally.
>
> Actually, just to be clear - the number isn't completely
> meaningless, it's the actual size on disk (from the st_blocks
> if they're available, filesize if not) rounded up to the nearest
> 1mb boundary. Just didn't want you to think we were randomly
> returning 1mb. It's a meaningful number, it's just the granularity
> that's a bit off :-).

I repeat: the Linux client is apparently better off ignoring it totally.

That makes it meaningless, Jeremy.

meaningless (vs. meaningful), nonmeaningful -- (having no meaning or
direction or purpose; "a meaningless endeavor"; "a meaningless
life"; "a verbose but meaningless explanation")

It clearly has no meaning or direction or purpose for any sane client.

After all, the only thing we can use it for is st_blocks, and since the
granularity is _so_ big, we're much better off looking at the file size
and guessing from that.

I still don't see why you argue for that totally meaningless number. As
far as I can tell, the _only_ thing it matters for is some Windows
benchmark.

Tell me again: why should the Linux client look at that number? Give me
just _one_ valid reason.

Linus