Re: [2.6] smbfs & "du" illness

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Sat Sep 25 2004 - 14:22:41 EST

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004, Jeremy Allison wrote:

> Also, the minumum size isn't the same issue as the st_blocks
> issue.

Well, it _is_.

Because right now the number is meaningless, and the Linux client is
apparently better off ignoring it totally.

Which was kind of my point to begin with.

If the number doesn't make sense, then we shouldn't look at it. The
_only_ thing that number makes sense for is st_blocks as far as the Linux
client is concerned.

In other words, the Linux client is a hell of a lot better off just taking
"(filesize + 511) >> 9", as far as I can tell. It's more accurate than the
random number you have.

Linus