Re: mlock(1)

From: Neil Horman
Date: Fri Sep 24 2004 - 15:24:54 EST

Neil Horman wrote:
Jeff Garzik wrote:

How feasible is it to create an mlock(1) utility, that would allow priveleged users to execute a daemon such that none of the memory the daemon allocates will ever be swapped out?

ntp daemon does mlock(2) internally, for example, but IMHO this is really a policy decision that could be moved out of the app.

Unfortunately I am VM-ignorant as always ;-)

Jeff

I think it would be pretty easy to do. Since mlock(2) operates on the calling processes vma tree you'd need an interface to the kernel that let you specify a child process and an address range to lock. Then in the kernel you'd need to translate the pid into task struct and replicate the functionality of sys_mlock without the assumption that current points to the task that you're modifying. Sounds like something you could do pretty easy with a proc file in fact.

Neil

-

Clarification: didn't mean to say child process there. Any process would be modifiable with this interface I think.
Neil

*Neil Horman
*Software Engineer
*Red Hat, Inc.