Re: 2.6.9 rc2 freezing

From: Helge Hafting
Date: Thu Sep 16 2004 - 03:37:58 EST

Jeff Garzik wrote:

Lee Revell wrote:

Interesting. Still, this looks like a specific bug that needs fixing,
it doesn't imply that preemption is a hack. For many workloads
preemption is a necessity.

For any workload that you feel preemption is a necessity, that indicates a latency problem in the kernel that should be solved.

Preemption is a hack that hides broken drivers, IMHO.

I would rather directly address any latency problems that appear.

Current preempt is broken, sure. But having robust preempt
would allow code simplification. Long loops outside critical
sections would be ok - no time or code spent testing for a need for
rescheduling because you'll be preempted when necessary anyway.

Or am I missing something? Other than that current preempt isn't up to
this and might be hard to get there?

Helge Hafting