Re: udev is too slow creating devices

From: Greg KH
Date: Wed Sep 15 2004 - 11:29:10 EST

On Wed, Sep 15, 2004 at 03:36:06PM +0100, Ian Campbell wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-09-15 at 14:55, Giacomo A. Catenazzi wrote:
> > Old behaviour (modprobe "waits" for the creation of device):
>
> I wonder if it would be feasible for modprobe (or some other utility) to
> have a new option: --wait-for=/dev/something which would wait for the
> device node to appear.

Why? What's the point? You are asking to paper over the way the kernel
works (remember storage devices are on lots of different kinds of busses
today...)

The fact that a static /dev keeps these race conditions from showing up
as often as they really are there is no reason to keep trying to rely on
old, undefined behaviour :)

thanks,

greg k-h