Re: udev is too slow creating devices

From: Greg KH
Date: Wed Sep 15 2004 - 11:22:50 EST

On Wed, Sep 15, 2004 at 03:55:26PM +0200, Giacomo A. Catenazzi wrote:

> Real case: distribution boot script.
> It should work with non udev kernel, udev non modular kernel and
> udev very modular kernel.

That's a lot to ask for a simple script :)

Why not just pick one of those options and go with it?

> The script load (directly or not) a module
> and need the device impelmented by module.

Then do the 'sit and spin' method. That works for all of the above
options, right?

> Old behaviour (modprobe "waits" for the creation of device):
> normal init.d script, with normal boot priorities.

Please realize that this "behaviour" is not guaranteed at all. And in
fact will be changing in the future so that it is _not_ the way it will
work.

> New behaviour (dev.d). What I should do?
> My init.d script is loaded with priority XX, so
> I require that dev.d on my device is executed after
> boot priority XX (else I don't have the needed
> functionalities), also in case of non-udev or non modular kernel.
> How should I implement script in dev.d/?

dev.d is called by the kernel, not your script. You don't have to set a
priority of when dev.d runs at all, it's not necessary.

> I see some design problems in dev.d/, or am I wrong?

What problems?

> PS: - What are the best (on topic) mailing list?

linux-hotplug-devel

> - What do other distributions?

What do they do? They just work :)

thanks,