Re: CPU Context corruption

From: Nigel Kukard
Date: Sun Sep 12 2004 - 02:58:25 EST

> > > CPU 0: Machine Check Exception: 0000000000000004
> > > Bank 0: 820000001040080F
> >
> > It normally indicates a hardware problem. The precise meaning of all the
> > bits is in the Intel chip docs (volume 3). If you've swapped the
> > mainboard/cpu it might just be bad RAM.
>
> He can also get precise info with Dave Jones' parsemce tool :
>
> http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/davej/tools/

yep, i found this a few hours ago... and got the same result as below

> It currently says :

> Restart IP invalid.
> parsebank(0): 820000001040080f @ 0
> External tag parity error
> CPU state corrupt. Restart not possible
> Bus and interconnect error
> Participation: Local processor originated request
> Timeout: Request did not timeout
> Request: Generic error
> Transaction type : Invalid
> Memory/IO : Other
>
> Since it says it's neither memory nor I/O, I think it might be related to
> a PCI parity error with some card, either during transfers or config access.

Thats the interesting part, I have 2 cards plugged in... 1 x SIS6326 AGP
graphics card, and 1 x Connexant PCI modem card.

If I put the modem card into the left most pci slot, I get a bios IRQ
routing error.

I've replaced the AGP card with another make, same problem, I've had my
supplier replace the motherboard, same problem. Replaced the CPU, same
problem.

I'm going to take the system back to the supplier tomorrow and ask him
to sort it out.... I'm not going to tell him anything apart from "It
does not work", its useless explaining to him the above if he not going
to understand a word of it.

Could this be an incompatibility issue between the CPU and the mobo?

Regards
Nigel

--
Nigel Kukard, PhD CompSc