Re: [patch 1/1] uml-update-2.6.8-finish

From: Jeff Dike
Date: Sat Sep 11 2004 - 12:15:46 EST

On Sat, Sep 11, 2004 at 05:40:12PM +0200, BlaisorBlade wrote:
> And making it compile with the hash code, rather than the rb_tree one? I know
> ghash.h must be removed, but there is no reason at all to switch to Red-Black
> trees.

It is not just that ghash.h be removed. It is that its contents have
to vanish. That code shouldn't be anywhere.

There are good reasons to switch to rbtrees -
I need some sort of low-O lookup
there is no generic hash tree in the kernel
rbtree is O(lg n) and it's generic
rbtree is the only generic low-O lookup in the kernel that I see

I'm not in the fancy data structure business, so I'll stick with the
infrastructure that I find in the pool already, and rbtree is about it.

> Even because, later, we will just see "Hey, I get a panic here" +
> backtrace.

No, because currently there are no users of this. We can get this tested
when UML starts mmapping into its page cache.

> Doing things right in first place is better.

And inlining the grunge is right?

Jeff