Re: swsusp: kill crash when too much memory is free

From: Rafael J. Wysocki
Date: Sat Sep 11 2004 - 05:04:53 EST

On Saturday 11 of September 2004 00:29, Pavel Machek wrote:
> Hi!
>
> > > Can you try my "bigdiff"? Also, does it work okay in 32-bit mode?
> >
> > Well, the good news is that it sort of works. Still, there are some bad
news,
> > as usual. ;-)
>
> So it sort-of-works, 32-bit and 64-bit mode? Good.
>
> > First, to make the box wake up, I have to unload ohci_hcd and everything
that
> > sits on IRQ11 before suspending (on my system that is sk98lin,
yenta_socked,
> > and ohci1394). If you want me to show what happens if I don't unload
these
> > modules, I'll be able to grab some traces in a couple of hours. ;-) Also,
> > have to compile out the frequency scaling, because otherwise it hangs
solid
> > at some time after wake-up.
> >
> > Second, after it's woken up, it seems to be very, _very_ slow, and the
reason
> > is indicated by this:
>
> Hmm, I do not know what nForce3 is (it should use better name at the
> minimum), but that driver probably needs some work.

It is the sound chip (ie snd-intel8x0). If I unload it after resume,
everything's fine and dandy. Moreover, if I unload it before suspend, the
box wakes up with no problems (of course, I have to unload the other modules
too, as I said before).

However, I think the problem is with the hardware, not with the driver: if the
sound driver is unloaded before suspend and loaded again after resume, the
box behaves as though it were loaded all the time (ie IRQ #5 goes mad). Are
there any boot options that may help get around this?

Greets,
RJW

--
- Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?
- That depends a good deal on where you want to get to.