Re: [RFC] New Time of day proposal (updated 9/2/04)

From: George Anzinger
Date: Tue Sep 07 2004 - 16:56:09 EST

Christoph Lameter wrote:
On Tue, 7 Sep 2004, George Anzinger wrote:

Also, we don't "know" what rate the TSC is actually clocking so we must
"discover" it at boot time. This process either is inaccurate or slow (I think
we use ~ 50 ms these days which gives an error of ~10 TSC cycles on a 800MHZ
box). FWIW the problem here is the sync up with the I/O backplane to find the
start and ending of the measured time.

I suspect that the IA64 "tells" you what its clock rate is. Right?

Not the CPU itself. There is a special hardware I/O interface called the
PAL/SAL that allows one to retrieve that information. Doesn't the BIOS on
i386 allow you to get to that information?

Not as far as I know. If it did we would kick out the calibrate loop and boot some 50ms faster (always a good thing). Could be somebody else has better info here...

--
George Anzinger george@xxxxxxxxxx