Re: [Transmeta hardware] Update of the CMS under Linux ?

From: Emmanuel Fleury
Date: Mon Sep 06 2004 - 11:31:46 EST

On Mon, 2004-09-06 at 16:29, Kalin KOZHUHAROV wrote:

> > I have no idea if it is legal or not... it is not my concern now.
> ... how legal is it?

I am not a lawyer... :)

Just an unsatisfied customer who try to use properly a piece of hardware
that I own because I paid for it... Am I a criminal because of this ???

> > I'm just seeking for solutions ! :)
> > I guess it depends if you are in the States or in Europe.
> or Japan.

Right. I forgot Japan, of course.

> I don't have X on this laptop, but I'll put tonight.

It would be very interesting to know if you encounter this bug.
This bug has never been reported on a Toshiba Libretto.

> Actually, I was given this laptop after a few major falls (and a hard kick!),
> so it is barely mobile, strapped/fixed to a metal board and used mainly via ssh.
>
> I had some nasty bug appearing every couple of days without any trace left with linux-2.6.3
> (machine stays on, but no reaction to KBD, network, USB, etc; nothing in the logs, on hte screen, no beeps).
> But now with 2.6.8.1 I have 15d uptime :-)

This bug is know to appear more often on X, but it might appear in some
other places and not having being noticed yet... We don't know...

> If you get closer to a smaller (than X running) testcase, post it here,
> so other people (and me) can try easily.

I will, but just right now I don't have much time to spend on it, but my
next goal is to identify a way to reproduce it (not an easy task I'm
afraid). So, I will keep people informed.

> I'd be happy to switch a few (fast) CPUs from SETI@Home to Transmeta@Home if not illegal :-)

Well, we should first find where is the bug. ;-)

But, we already have the assembly code of the CMS 4.4 thanks to the HP
tablet-PC update (see:
http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/compaqtabletpc/us/download/18120.html).

So, if some people are interested by this project of
CrackingTransmeta@Home, be my guest. :-)

Regards
--
Emmanuel Fleury

Computer Science Department, | Office: B1-201
Aalborg University, | Phone: +45 96 35 72 23
Fredriks Bajersvej 7E, | Fax: +45 98 15 98 89
9220 Aalborg East, Denmark | Email: fleury@xxxxxxxxx