Re: The argument for fs assistance in handling archives

From: Dr. Giovanni A. Orlando
Date: Mon Sep 06 2004 - 04:22:18 EST

Tonnerre wrote:

Salut,

On Mon, Sep 06, 2004 at 10:05:34AM +0200, Spam wrote:

Then it is good. Just I see no programs other than Gnome or KDE apps
that are using them.

Because KDE people hate Gnome people and vice versa, and because the
rest of the world just neglects the two races for political reasons.

Hi,

This is completely wrong. Neither KDE people hate GNOME people
nor viceversa.

Time ago, I repeat in a conference the GNOME people need to jump
on the KDE wagon, so the train will move to a single direction, and
people does not approve this comment.

More than on the license, QPL, there are a developer problem.

Develop in C (Gtk, GNOME) is a lot more easy than develop in C++ (Qt, KDE)
But, for the GUI, the C++ approach is a lot superior ... a lot.

The problem is this. They start to develop on Gtk to create GNOME, in C
for a license problem.

Now, they said why I need to change?

But they need to change, because it is supeiror. Everyone may of course wants to do what prefer.

Maybe the Freedesktop project should provide some convenient
specification/code to do it. Like they do for HAL and DBUS (Please
note that this is something interesting because it does clever things
on hardware without requiring to patch the kernel.)

I don't agree FreeDesktop.org, because it is handled by a RedHat employee
and the code is made on Gtk2, generally.

... They are not neutral.

Thanks,
Giovanni

In case of marketing it's up to the distributions to provide
something concise so everyone can use their programs through a
coherent namespace. (I.e. port all the apps they ship to gnome-vfs
or kio).

Do you really believe this will happen?

If the distributors really want to be able to gain money, and if the
Free Unix community wants to gain a significant market share, this is
supposed to happen. It's the question of whether we can ignore our
childish concept wars, or if we're always going to stay at that low
level we're at now.

Actually, this can't be fixed by putting everything into the kernel.

Tonnerre

Check FT Websites ... http://www.futuretg.com - ftp://ftp.futuretg.com
http://www.FTLinuxCourse.com
http://www.FTLinuxCourse.com/Certification