Re: NVIDIA Driver 1.0-6111 fix

From: Chris Wedgwood
Date: Sun Sep 05 2004 - 18:31:21 EST

On Sun, Sep 05, 2004 at 01:04:55PM +0100, Alan Cox wrote:

> The source code ones only go for R2xx series, not R300/R400. A
> browse of the documentation would have told you that. Whether this
> will change nobody knows. Perhaps as R3xx ceases to be leading edge
> ATI will be nice to us.

Having fill specs doesn't buy much, the amount of work required to get
a high-performance workable driver is enormous. I suspect any open
effort along these lines would take so long at to be uninteresting.

I'd much rather have ATI help work with the community in finding a
solution to opening up their drivers (in whole or in part). The same
applies to nvidia of course, but much I'm much less optimistic there
(which is a shame, because both vendors could gain a lot by working
with the community rather than what feels like against it at times).

--cw