Re: [patch] voluntary-preempt-2.6.9-rc1-bk4-R1

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Fri Sep 03 2004 - 05:35:00 EST

* Luke Yelavich <luke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I think I might be having a problem here, that I didn't have with
> previous patches. Bare in mind that the previous patch I tested was
> against 2.6.8.1 vanilla.
>
> I am using a D-Link KVM here between my notebook and my desktop
> machine. It is the desktop I am currently testing these patches on,
> and the KVM requires a double-tap of the scroll lock key to switch
> between machines. With the latest R0 patch, something is not working
> when I attempt to change from my desktop to my notebook. The KVM
> usually lets out a beep when I can use the arrow keys to switch, but
> it isn't here. Adding to that, my console locks up totally for about
> 10 seconds, before allowing me to go on and type commands. [...]

i have a KVM too to two testsystems and unfortunately i cannot reproduce
your problems neither with KVM (key-based-)switching nor with scroll
lock. But this KVM uses a triple-key combination to switch, not
scroll-lock.

it's a PS2 keyboard, right? If yes then does:

echo 0 > /proc/irq/1/i8042/threaded
( maybe also: echo 0 > /proc/irq/12/i8042/threaded )

fix the problem? The PS2 driver has been a bit unrobust when hardirq
redirection is enabled.

> [...] I also seem to get some debugging output or a trace of some sort
> when rebooting, and the kernel panics with the message: (0)Kernel
> Panic - not syncing: Failed exception in interrupt

hm. Would be nice to get a serial console capture of this, if possible.

Ingo