Re: IDE class driver with SATA controllers

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Wed Sep 01 2004 - 08:23:19 EST

Andrew Chew wrote:
The reason I'm asking is because it would seem like a good thing to have
SATA controllers that are broadly compatible with IDE to be usable
without having to modify the core kernel drivers. This would at least
allow a user to perform a Linux install on a SATA drive even if that
kernel doesn't have explicit support for the SATA controller. A
kernel/driver update can then take place after the install.

Also, are there plans for libata to take over the IDE class driver
functionality in the future?

Once ATAPI is complete, then I will green-light PATA support in libata.

Since libata already supports the standard bmdma stuff, and can even work in PIO-only mode without DMA (or even without interrupts, in 100% polling mode), it is definitely possible to drive the hardware.

If you want to play, and don't care about lack of ATAPI support (i.e. just disks), then it is possible today to do this. #define ATA_FORCE_PIO and play away :)

With regards to libata being the default, making that an _option_ is feasible, but we will probably default to the IDE driver for quite some time. There are issues of /dev/hda versus /dev/sda, keeping existing user setups working, etc.

Jeff