Re: MMC block major dev

From: Alan Cox
Date: Wed Sep 01 2004 - 08:21:07 EST

On Maw, 2004-08-31 at 20:47, Pierre Ossman wrote:
> >Registering with the block layer with a major number of zero means
> >"find me a free major number and assign that to me." This is nothing
> >new. If devfs can't cope with that, devfs is buggy. Use udev instead.

Registering with an ID of 0 is bad because you've no idea what existing
device node you may reallocate and thus what permissions may be present
for access unless you sweep all of storage.

> Ok. Please excuse my ignorance =)
> My point was that I do not use a dynamic system for /dev so it would be
> nice to have a static major number. Since MMC now is a part of Linus'
> kernel maybe it's time for a permanent allocation?

Agreed. It also needs reigstering with LANANA to avoid /dev namespace
collisions irrespective of the device numbering and to ensure the
namespace is common across all vendors regardless of their dev
management tools. Without LANANA we'll get

#if UDEV_REDHAT
#elif UDEV_SUSE
#elif DEVFS_SUSE
#elif GENTOO
#endif

type stuff in programs .. 8(

Send the proposed /dev naming for the device and details in the same
format as Documentation/devices.txt to device@xxxxxxxxxx, and Torben
will either disagree with you or assign name and possibly numbers.

Alan