From: Alan Cox
Date: Wed Sep 01 2004 - 07:56:38 EST

On Mer, 2004-09-01 at 06:50, Hans Reiser wrote:
> Yes, changing cat to use openat() is no big deal. 1-2% additional coding
> cost for cat, who cares?

Large cost on its own. The FSF would almost certainly reject such a
change until someone had written portable emulation of the feature for
every other platform which would mean vendor patches which would
essentially mean it wouldn't happen.

I know I rarely agree with Hans but I think he's right on this one, it
has to work with the existing open() API.

Alan