Re: Getting kernel.org kernel to build for m68k?

From: Geert Uytterhoeven
Date: Wed Sep 01 2004 - 03:41:14 EST

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004, Dan Kegel wrote:
> I noticed today that Linus's m68k kernel can't be built (at least with gcc-3.4.1).
>
> The first problem I ran into,
> CC arch/m68k/kernel/asm-offsets.s
> In file included from include/linux/spinlock.h:12,
> from include/linux/capability.h:45,
> from include/linux/sched.h:7,
> from arch/m68k/kernel/asm-offsets.c:12:
> include/linux/thread_info.h:30: error: parse error before '{' token
> is solved already in the m68k tree.
> (In particular,
> the #ifndef __HAVE_THREAD_FUNCTIONS ... #endif in
> http://linux-m68k-cvs.apia.dhs.org/c/cvsweb/linux/include/linux/thread_info.h?rev=1.5;content-type=text%2Fplain
> probably solves it.)
> There are other problems after that.

Roman Zippel changed the threading stuff on m68k. Since it would affect other
architectures, I never submitted it on my own.

In short, we never really compile this code, since the m68k tree doesn't use it
anymore. And yes, it even fails with older compiler versions, like 2.95.2.

> Any chance you could spend a bit of time sending Linus enough
> patches for his kernel to build for m68k, if not run?

I'll make sure a plain kernel.org kernel can build an m68k kernel.

> It would be helpful to my crosstool project (I'm adding a
> "can this toolchain build the kernel" test, and it's a lot
> easier if I can count on the kernel.org tree at least building).

Great!

Let's hope people start doing the other way around as well, so I don't have to
run allyesconfigs to catch bugs in non-m68k drivers ;-)

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

Geert

-- Linus Torvalds