Re: [patch] voluntary-preempt-2.6.9-rc1-bk4-Q4

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Mon Aug 30 2004 - 12:43:54 EST

* Alan Cox <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Llu, 2004-08-30 at 01:47, K.R. Foley wrote:
> > Aug 29 09:32:50 daffy kernel: requesting new irq thread for IRQ1...
> > Aug 29 09:32:50 daffy kernel: atkbd.c: Spurious ACK on isa0060/serio1.
> > Some program, like XFree86, might be trying access hardware directly.
>
> This is a known bug in the ps/2 driver layer. The printk can be
> triggered by multiple quite valid situations. I've suggested it be
> removed several times. Also XFree86 is a trademark so it should be
> XFree86(tm) ;)

since the message was right during detection it was indication of deeper
trouble - and indeed it was caused by the IRQ1 thread being starved by
init and thus the handler not running at all - the 'spurious ACK' was a
weird (and probably buggy) way of the PS2 layer telling that the
expected IRQ never arrived ...

in any case, this was a bug in the hardirq redirection code.

Ingo