Re: Problem accessing Sandisk CompactFlash Cards (Connected to theIDE bus)

From: Alan Cox
Date: Mon Aug 30 2004 - 11:27:56 EST

On Llu, 2004-08-30 at 16:49, Marc StrÃmke wrote:
> Both Cards, the old and the new on dont get to the ATAPI probing (which
> seems correct to me, or is compactflash an ATAPI device???)

CF cards in IDE mode appear as ATA disk not ATAPI

> So the data the does return indeed marks it as an ATA harddisk, and not
> as a compactflash card, the real question then is why doesnt it work as
> a harddisk, which according to the specifications it should? Iam not
> really experienced in the ide stuff, so iam not sure what the
> CompactFlash detection in linux changes in behaviour.

It basically changes the removable drive behaviour. It could
also be useful for knowing when we need to be careful as
CF cards are both fragile and have some different commands.

What is the CF card connected to. One possibility is that
something after boot is powering the CF card off and on or
switching its mode before we see it.