Re: Libata VIA woes continue. Worked around - *wrong*

From: Larry McVoy
Date: Mon Aug 30 2004 - 09:56:53 EST

Resending, there was a typo in the kernel address.

Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 07:45:52 -0700
From: Larry McVoy <lm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Jeff Garzik <jgarzik@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Brad Campbell <brad@xxxxxxxxxxx>, linux-ide@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,
linxu-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Larry McVoy <lm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>,
Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Libata VIA woes continue. Worked around - *wrong*

> Since BK changesets are ordered as a progression, you can also do a
> bsearch by clone trees to specific changesets, such as
>
> bk changes -rv2.6.6..2.6.7 > /tmp/changes.txt
> # view changes.txt, pick out cset 1.1587.39.1 as your "top of tree"
> bk clone -r1.1587.39.1 vanilla-2.6 brad-test-2.6.6-bk
> # compile and test the kernel in brad-test-2.6.6-bk

A couple of comments:
- BK changesets are not a linear progression, they are in the form of
a graph called a lattice. Getting a path through there that you can
do binary search on is not straightforward.

- The CVS tree represents one such straight path, get just the ChangeSet
file from the CVS tree and do an rlog on it - you are looking for the
lines like:

BKrev: 41316382Cxbyp1_yHDX8LmymGot3Ww

That rev is the "md5key" of the BK rev and can be used anywhere a BK
rev may be used (bk clone -r41316382Cxbyp1_yHDX8LmymGot3Ww ...)

- The biggest time saver is knowing where to look for your bug. If you
knew that the bug was in drivers/scsi/libata-core.c then you could
find each changeset which touched that file like so

$ bk rset -lv2.6.6 | grep drivers/scsi/libata-core.c
drivers/scsi/libata-core.c|1.39
$ bk prs -hnd:I: -r1.39.. drivers/scsi/libata-core.c | while read rev
do bk r2c -r$rev drivers/scsi/libata-core.c
done

That will crunch away and spit out (in this case) 63 revs like

1.1803.1.40
1.1803.1.39
1.1803.1.38

and a binary search over those revs is likely to be fair more fruitful
because the history of that one file is pretty linear.
--
---
Larry McVoy lm at bitmover.com http://www.bitkeeper.com