OSDL: AIO-Stress summary for AIO patch set vs linux-2.6.8

From: Judith Lebzelter
Date: Fri Aug 27 2004 - 18:18:48 EST

Hello;

I have done a summary of some aio-stress runs on our 1CPU and 2CPU hosts
to compare the performance of the latest version of Suparna's buffered AIO
patch set http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-aio&m=109285137710061&w=2
(less the aio-ra) to the linux-2.6.8 kernel. I found up to a 442%
improvement and was wondering if anyone could explain it.

The buffered results on 1CPU/single disk/512M RAM/1 2G File showed:
Sequential Reads: -13.2%
Random reads: +32.7%

The buffered results on 2CPU/5 Disk striped Megaraid/1G RAM/1 4G File
showed:
Sequential reads: +2.1%
Random Reads: +442%

The improvement in buffered random reads from this patch set was +32% on
1CPU and +442% on 2CPU. This was more than expected on the 2CPU host at
+442%. It seems as though the 'buffered random reads' performance on the
unpatched linux-2.6.8 kernel is unexpectedly low at only 7.57MB/s on our
5 Disk striped Megaraid partition.

The buffered sequential reads on the 1CPU host were 13% slower, but they
did not change significantly on the 2CPU host.

There were no other serious regressions or changes within error.

The full summary is at:

http://developer.osdl.org/judith/aio/result_compare_2.6.8.html

Regards;

Judith Lebzelter