From: Hans Reiser
Date: Fri Aug 27 2004 - 03:43:15 EST

viro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

On Thu, Aug 26, 2004 at 04:47:39PM -0700, Hans Reiser wrote:

Sometimes you want the nonlocal effects and sometimes you don't, and by decomposing streams into smaller primitives we can let users choose as they want.

Right. Now, would you kindly post the detailed technical analysis of your
wonderful design that handles that stuff safely? With proof of correctness,
please. Since we are expected to take your code and use it as "Uber"
replacement for the existing one, it surely would not be too much to expect,
would it?

And no, "we have a nice presentation somewhere on namesys" does not
qualify.

I apologize for the obvious posting in a thread already full of noise,
but I would like to make *very* sure that lack of ripping you another
one does *not* mutate into "no objections from viro" in a lovely thread
on SlashDot in a week or so.

Over the next 6-18 months, one piece at a time, it will all fall into place.

Reiser4 as it is shipping today, consists of close to the minimal functionality necessary to replace reiser3, albeit done according to our plugin model, and with vastly higher performance. The full solution is not yet written, wait for it. I understand why you think deadlocks are everything, but avoiding them is only a small, albeit necessary, piece of the task.

Thanks though for pointing out issues with unlinking files that have been cd'd to.