From: Felipe Alfaro Solana
Date: Thu Aug 26 2004 - 17:34:42 EST

On Thursday 26 August 2004 22:10, Rik van Riel wrote:

> Do we really want to have a file paradigm that's different
> from the other OSes out there ?
>
> What happens when users want to transfer data from Linux
> to another system ?

I think it depends on the transport being used: some transports could allow
for metadata (i.e. a MIME-compatible transport) while some others don't. Of
course, the remote side needs to also support metadata (i,e. using a
MIME-compatible transport against a remote host that doesn't understand
metadata is certainly impossible).

For example, with FTP transports, I guess the only possible option is to
transfer the unnamed/default stream. NFS should allow metadata, but this
probably needs some kind of extensions to the NFS protocol.