Re: Termination of the Philips Webcam Driver (pwc)

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Thu Aug 26 2004 - 19:29:05 EST

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004, Christoph Hellwig wrote:

> It's not up to him to decide. He can step down from his maintainership,
> but he can't force the driver to be removed.

Yes and no. From a legal standpoint you're right. However, we should also
be polite. If he's the sole author, and he asks for it, I think it's
reasonable to honor his wishes.

Of course if some new maintainer shows up and decides to infer how the
device worked by looking at the original open-source code, that's also
clearly fine.

I don't want people to play lawyer. Honoring peoples rights to the code
they write is more important than just the law.

Linus