Re: new tool: blktool

From: David Ford
Date: Sun Aug 15 2004 - 17:19:11 EST

[...]

Yep, it's more like ethtool(8) or cvs(1) in its syntax. There is big difference in usability (for me anyway) between "command [options]..." and an unordered list of --args. Especially as the list of commands grows longer. It provides more structure.

Each command can have options, --foo-bar=baz if you like, I suppose.

I would rather see --option=xyz than option xyz. End users are going to be using it in scripts and in the event a parameter becomes "", then it will become --option1= --option2=def instead of option1 option2 def. I would find it easier to parse, --option= is easy to ignore, option option has to be recognized as an empty option instead of using option as the first option's argument.

Just my opinion,
-david

begin:vcard
fn:David Ford