Re: new tool: blktool

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Sun Aug 15 2004 - 17:09:32 EST

Alan Cox wrote:
On Sul, 2004-08-15 at 22:36, Jeff Garzik wrote:

$ hdparm -c1 /dev/hda
becomes
$ blktool /dev/hda pio-data 32-bit

So you've replaced hdparm's weird but unixish command line with an
even more demented non linuxish one that doesn't handle regexps for
drive names ?

Whatever happened to

blktool /dev/hda --pio-data=32

Yep, it's more like ethtool(8) or cvs(1) in its syntax. There is big difference in usability (for me anyway) between "command [options]..." and an unordered list of --args. Especially as the list of commands grows longer. It provides more structure.

Each command can have options, --foo-bar=baz if you like, I suppose.

Jeff