Re: [2/3] via-rhine: de-isolate PHY

From: Manfred Spraul
Date: Sun Aug 08 2004 - 16:02:47 EST

Roger Luethi wrote:

I know that PHYs go into isolate mode if the startup id is wired to 0,

Wouldn't that be s/go/can go/ ?

I don't have the MII standard, my knowledge is from the DP83840A specs:
The pin description contains a section about the phy ids:
During power up five pins are latched to determine the initial phy address.
Then the following sentence in bold: "An address selection of all zeros (00000) will result in a PHY isolation condition".

I've reread the DP specs and I now think that your current patch is sufficient:
The isolate state is independant from the phy address - a non-zero phy can be in isolate mode and the phy zero can be non-isolated. The phy id just sets the power-up value of the isolate bit: 0 means start isolated, non-zero means start non-isolated.

If this is really true then handling phy 0 is trivial:
First scan 1-31. If nothing found: try 0. If a phy is found: clear the isolate bit and then use phy 0.

--
Manfred