Re: [2/3] via-rhine: de-isolate PHY

From: Roger Luethi
Date: Sun Aug 08 2004 - 15:07:13 EST

[ BCCed reporter in case he wants to weigh in on the issue ]

On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 21:53:57 +0200, Manfred Spraul wrote:
> Roger wrote:
>
> >PHYs may come up isolated. Make sure we can send data to them. This code
> >section needs a clean-up, but I prefer to merge this fix in isolation.
> >
> What was the phyid value for the isolated PHYs?

I suspect it was 0, because another suggestion in the same message was to
start scanning at 0 rather than 1 (obsolete with current via-rhine code).

> I know that PHYs go into isolate mode if the startup id is wired to 0,

Wouldn't that be s/go/can go/ ?

> but I haven't figured out what's necessary to initialize them: Just
> clear the isolate bit or is it necessary to set the id to a nonzero value.

The proposed fix apparently worked for the PHY in question (LSI Logic
80225).

Roger