Re: ide-cd problems

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Thu Aug 05 2004 - 13:58:34 EST

Alan Cox wrote:
On Mer, 2004-08-04 at 06:01, Jens Axboe wrote:

Absolutely not. I've already outlined why in my previous mails I don't
want to see anything like this, and this patch is even worse than
filtering. Additionally, you risk breaking existing programs.

Existing broken programs.

Once you do filtering so you don't need CAP_SYS_RAWIO to lob some
commands at a device that becomes the place to enforce sensible policies
because the filter knows what is "read" and what is "write" so it can do
different checks for say "eject" (read) "write" (write) and "erase
firmware" (raw I/O)

Would it be reasonable to have a general list (SCSI-II standard or so) and then a list of vendor commands in the driver? I really think that legitimate user programs will be using well-defined commands, after all that's why there is a standard. So requiring raw access for that may not be an issue.

--
-bill davidsen (davidsen@xxxxxxx)