drm - first steps towards 64-bit correctness..

From: Dave Airlie
Date: Sat Jul 31 2004 - 04:14:54 EST

Hi,
As a first step towards sorting getting the DRM into shape for
proper use on 32/64-bit systems, I'd like to sort out all the type
definitions in drivers/char/drm/drm.h, this file is also included in
userspace and BSD builds...

After reading the thread "32/64bit issues in ioctl struct passing" on
dri-devel, I'm still not 100% sure what we need to do, I just know we to
do something sooner rather than later!! we are getting more and more
32/64-bit users everyday....
While avoiding breakage of current users is "a good thing" I'm not sure it
overrides "getting it right", at the moment mixed 32/64-bit is broken for
most cards anyways... I'd like to try and not break pure-32 or pure-64 bit
setups alright but I think pure-64 bit might take some collateral damage
:-(..

I've looked across the SuSE patch[1] for 64-bit, but it looks like it will
add complexity and making future maintenance nightmareish...

We do need to sort this out ASAP, and I also would like to say I'm
probably not the best person to do the work, I've no non-32bit hardware to
test this stuff on, I've little 32/64 mixed environment experience,
everytime I think I've grasped the issues I dig a bit further :-), though
I also believe this is the single biggest issue with the DRM currently (as
the maintainer..)

Regards,
Dave.

[1] http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=dri-devel&m=109040871011904&w=2

--
David Airlie, Software Engineer
http://www.skynet.ie/~airlied / airlied at skynet.ie
pam_smb / Linux DECstation / Linux VAX / ILUG person