Re: OOM-killer going crazy.

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Mon Jul 26 2004 - 23:23:54 EST

Ed Sweetman wrote:

This is not the same problem as I and other are describing. There is no free memory when the OOM killer activates in our situation. The kernel has allocated all available ram and as such, the OOM killer can't kill the memory hog because it's the kernel, itself. So the OOM killer kills all the big apps running ...but it's to no use because the kernel just keeps trying to use more until the cd is completed. After which the memory is still never released.
Your thread has nothing to do with mine.

I believe it could be the same problem. Jan-Frode's system has all ZONE_NORMAL
memory used up. The free memory would be highmem which would be unsuable for
those allocations that are causing OOM.

The vfs_cache_pressure change could possibly be responsible for the problem...
I don't have the code in front of me, but I think it divides by 100 first, then
multiplies by vfs_cache_pressure. I wouldn't have thought this would have such
a large impact though.