Re: [RFC] removal of sync in panic

From: Lars Marowsky-Bree
Date: Wed Jul 14 2004 - 11:25:40 EST

On 2004-07-14T17:45:46,
Christian Borntraeger <linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:

> I can imagine several changes but I am not sure if this is a problem which
> must be fixed and which fix is the best.
> Here are my alternatives:
>
> 1. remove sys_sync completely: syslogd and klogd use fsync. No need to help
> them. Furthermore we have a severe problem which is worth a panic, so we
> better dont do any I/O.

I've seen exactly the behaviour you describe and would be inclined to go
for this option too.

> 3. Add an
> if (doing_io())
> printk(KERN_EMERG "In I/O routine - not syncing\n");
> check like in_interrupt check. Unfortunately I have no clue how this can be
> achieved and it looks quite ugly.

This would also work of course, but as you point out, it's more complex.

Sincerely,
Lars Marowsky-Brée <lmb@xxxxxxx>

--
High Availability & Clustering \ ever tried. ever failed. no matter.
SUSE Labs, Research and Development | try again. fail again. fail better.