Re: Real-Time thread scheduling in linux??

From: Paul Davis
Date: Wed Jul 14 2004 - 08:35:56 EST

> I would like to know if there is any way to give a thread real-time
>priority under Linux, and also if it is possible using the pthread
>library. How would the kernel handle such threads? And do we need to
>implement locking systems, so that this thread does not block other
>threads permanently? Please help me, because I am working on a data
>acquisition application, and the acquisition thread needs almost
>real-time priority, and loss of data is not affordable.

wrong mailing list, sort of.

use google to look up SCHED_FIFO, which will lead you into the
wonderful of soft-RT programming on POSIX operating systems.

lots of people (including me) do this sort of thing already. but be
warned: linux is not a hard-RT OS, and cannot become so. if you are
doing data acquisition for critical data or systems, you might want to
consider RT-Linux or RTAI or other hard-RT variants.

--p