Re: Murphy hits (Kernel 2.6, ext2, "check=strict"): corrupted filesystem

From: Pavel Machek
Date: Tue Jul 13 2004 - 15:52:21 EST

Hi!

> I'd like to present a little story how to shredder your ext2 filesystem:
>
> I was installing SuSE Linux 9.1 when the kernel froze rather late during
> installation. So I had to reset the PC. There is a minor bug in the forementioned

You call this "minor"?

> Why I'm writing this: If something can go wrong, eventually it will. For a true
> disaster you always need more than just one problem (1: Kernel freeze, 2: no fsck
> being run, 3: kernel happily mounts unclean filesystem for read-write).

3 is feature. It prints warning, but lets you mount it. I sometimes mount
broken fs's rw; it actually saved me once when I was hitting fsck bug.
It is also handy when quickly recovering scratch machine.

MS-DOS had no fsck... and survive. ext2 can survive with similar results
if you just dont fsck...

> I think nobody really wants to read reports where Linux has shreddered a
> filesystem, do we?

I actually liked your report ;-).
Pavel
--
64 bytes from 195.113.31.123: icmp_seq=28 ttl=51 time=448769.1 ms