Re: [2.6] Module writing?

From: Espen Fjellvær Olsen
Date: Tue Jul 13 2004 - 13:18:53 EST

Robin Holt wrote:

>What are you specifically thinking of doing? Is there a part of the
>kernel you are specfically interested in? I might be able to point
>you at some projects that could use some help. They presume that
>the person doing the work has some experience in programming. The
>kernel pieces are fairly well hammered on by many experience kernel
>programmers, but alot of the drivers need some attention.
>
>If I were you, I think I would try to find a set of drivers that
>has not been getting updated recently and look to contribute to the
>cleanup effort in those drivers.
>
>Good Luck,
>Robin Holt
>
>On Tue, Jul 13, 2004 at 06:29:29PM +0200, Espen Fjellvær Olsen wrote:

I have started to write some kernel modules for fun now, but they are a
bit empty :)
it's just some printk's and some other simple things.

I wonder if there are any good howtoes out on the Net somewhere, I've
read a bit on: http://tldp.org/LDP/lkmpg, but I'm afraid it's a bit
outdated(?)

I'm only doing this for fun(at this time, maybe it becomes serious
when i become a bit older;) ) so i don't want to spend any
money on a book, or on an course.

Best regards
Espen Fjellvfær Olsen
eldiablo@xxxxxxxxxx
Norway

I'm new to all this with kernel hacking, so writing any drivers would be quite difficult for me i think.
I'm just trying to learn where to start, and what to start with, I'm not a guru in C, but I'm learning ;)
But if anyone have a driver which need some looking after I could gladly look at the TODO or something :)