Re: Ext3 File System "Too many files" with snort

From: Andreas Dilger
Date: Sun Jul 11 2004 - 12:22:32 EST

On Jul 11, 2004 16:55 +0200, Michelle Konzack wrote:
> Hello Andreas,
>
> Am 2004-07-08 12:21:43, schrieb Andreas Dilger:
>
> >If you are actually running out of inodes, then you can use "-i" or "-N"
> >to mke2fs to increase the number of inodes in a new filesystem. Since
> >this defaults to 1 inode per 8kB of space, it seems unlikely that you
> >would run out of inodes before blocks unless you have lots of small files
> >(maildir perhaps? even then "modern" emails usually average > 8kB in size
> >because of HTML crap, lots of headers, attachments, etc).
>
> I have a courier-imap Server where I share all all mailinglists where
> I am subscribed... Curently I have 5,2 Millionen Messages in the ext3.
>
> I have already striped the messages with
>
> :0 fh
> | formail -f -I Received: -I Envelope-to: -I Delivered-To: -I Return-path: \
> -I X-Spam-Checker-Version: -I X-Spam-Status: -I X-Spam-Level:
>
> I have a mailsize of around 2,5 kBytes...
>
> So I habe used 'mkfs.ext3 -b 1024 -N 8000000 ... /dev/sda..'
>
> My question is, how many Inodes can I create on a ext3 filesystem ?

Up to 4 billion inodes, but it depends on the size of the device. You
can create your filesystem with e.g. "-b 1024 -i 2048" to create 1 inode
for each 2kb of space.

> Curently I am running a 3Ware Raid-5 Controller 75xx with 3 x 80 GByte.

This will give you 160GB of usable space, so 160 * 1024 * 1024 / (2 * 1024)
is 80 million, which is what you specified manually above, oh, you put
8 million unless that was a typo.

Yes, it would be good to have dynamic inode allocation for ext3, but it
hasn't been a top priority for anyone to implement it.

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger
http://members.shaw.ca/adilger/ http://members.shaw.ca/golinux/