Re: (att. ismail) [announce] [patch] Voluntary Kernel Preemption Patch

From: ismail dönmez
Date: Sat Jul 10 2004 - 09:13:15 EST

I made artswrapper suid root. It's still skipping during cp -rf
big_folder copy operation. Jack is running with --realtime and I use
realtime lsm module to give it realtime capabilities.

doing a modprobe realtime gid=17

where 17 is "audio" group which happens to contain "cartman" user too.

On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 15:03:58 +0200, Roger Larsson
<roger.larsson@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Tested on 2.6.7-bk20, Pentium3 700 mhz, 576 mb RAM
> >
> > I did cp -rf big_folder new_folder . Then opened up a gui ftp client
> > and music in amarok started to skip like for 2-3 seconds.
> >
> > Btw Amarok uses Artsd ( KDE Sound Daemon ) which in turn set to use
> > Jack Alsa Backend.
>
> Are you sure that both artsd and jackd is run as RT processes?
> artsd needs 'artswrapper' as suid root and option in kconfig enabled.
> (never versions of amarok warns the user if this is not the case...)
>
> [You can try to run the same as root to be sure]
>
> But it does sound as a io scheduler problem - but 2-3 seconds!?
>
> /RogerL
>
> --
> Roger Larsson
> Skellefteå