Re: Syncing a file's metadata in a portable way

From: bert hubert
Date: Sat Jul 10 2004 - 06:54:57 EST

On Fri, Jul 09, 2004 at 02:39:48AM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:

> It depends on the Linux filesystem. On ext3, for example, fsync() will
> sync all of the filesytem's metadata (and data in journalled and ordered
> data mode).

I've noticed that on ext3, SQLite transactions are nearly useless, with the
smallest transactions causing 5 megabyte/s writout activity based on
relatively small writes. kjournald bore a large part of that according to
laptop_mode's block dump.

Do we actually need to flush the journal on fsync? I'm no fs theorist but I
wonder if having data in the journal isn't good enough - in case of failure,
the data will be there on recovery?

--
http://www.PowerDNS.com Open source, database driven DNS Software
http://lartc.org Linux Advanced Routing & Traffic Control HOWTO